Welcome

This is the blog and public record of the Chicago Pizza Club. We eat a lot of pizza and share our thoughts on it as well as post any relevant pizza news we come across.

We invite you to post any comments on anywhere you have eaten under our review of that establishment. If you have any questions, please read the FAQs on the sidebar first to see if it has already been answered. Please note that we are at capacity and are not seeking new members. And finally, if you have a place you think we should try, have some other inquiry, or want to send us love/hatemail then please contact us at:

ChicagoPizzaClub@gmail.com

Saturday, December 08, 2007

Vito & Nick's Pizzeria [Meeting #48; Meeting #1 Revisited]

Vito & Nick's Pizzeria
8433 S. Pulaski Rd. (Google Maps)
(773) 735-2050

Pizza Club was found in 2003 when my then-roommate and I had a chat about pizza in Chicago. We are both essentially life-long Chicagoans and have enjoyed many a fine pizza, but we understood we had probably missed so many great places along the way as well. He pulled out an article from one of the local papers where someone had submitted a top ten list of pizzerias. We had already tried most of them, but Nick and Vito’s caught our eye because we hadn’t heard of it and because it was on the South Side. We figured that like most things, anything on the South Side was bound to be better than its North Side counterpart and we headed off to battle rush hour traffic. In retrospect, this was one of the best things I’ve ever done because we formed the Chicago Pizza Club on our drive home, stuffed with heavenly pizza and eager to regularly start sampling pizza around the city.

Much has changed since that time. For starters, many of the original crew have come and gone due to graduations and jobs leading them elsewhere. Additionally, this former roommate of mine is now married and has a baby – the smallest pizza club member. Since we have so many new faces, we have decided to break a long standing pizza club rule and start re-visiting pizzerias to allow new members to experience some of our greatest finds.

Enough sentimentality. Let’s get to the pizzas. Sadly, I have lost my piece of paper detailing our meal, but I can remember some of the pizzas. I also remember nothing was left of them.

  • Shrimp and garlic
  • Roast Beef
  • Tomato and basil
The pizzas start arriving within 20 minutes because they’re thin and this place is actually efficient. Additionally, the price was right. The bill for each member was less than $15, including whatever drinks we may have ordered. In general, this place was extremely well received. The crust was thin and firm, but still with that classic cracker-like character. The sauce was well seasoned enough that I could taste it despite it being present in small amounts so as to not overwhelm the crust. The cheese was the most inauspicious part, but the toppings were fabulous. Fresh vegetables and meats are thinly sliced to cook at the same time as the rest of the pizza. One word for this pizzeria’s product is balance.

On this visit, Petey gives Nick and Vito's a 9.


CPC invaded Vito & Nick's on 11/13/08.


The Chicago Pizza Club digs in...


Tomatoe & Basil!


Shrimp & Garlic!!


Francisco has a mouthful...


Italian Beef!


Leave your plastic at home...


A truly sad sight...


What do you mean it's all gone?


People with glasses like pizza too...


A very happy (and full) Chicago Pizza Club


Where it went down...


Vito & Nick's Pizzeria on Urbanspoon

6 comments:

Stu said...

Holy Cats, this was good pizza! The Shrimp & Garlic pizza and the Beef pizza were amazing. This is one of the best thin crust pizzas I've had in the club, and frankly just thinking about it makes me wish I was there again right now. A very fitting place for the Chicago Pizza Club to be born. I give it a 9/10!

Marla Collins' Husband said...

Shockingly good pies. The Italian Beef pizza was outstanding. Even the tomato and basil pizza was excellent and that's like a pizza without ingredients. If I had a car, I'd head back there soon. A solid 8/10 from me.

Marla Collins' Husband said...

Having had time to reflect, I must raise my score. I can still close my eyes and taste the italian beef pizza. I am raising my score to a 9/10.

kate-d. said...

outstanding thin crust pizza. i am not usually a big fan of italian beef on pizza, but this was just delicious. it was thinly sliced and thus a good match for the thin crust. the flavors on all three pies were great, loved the garlic and shrimp combination. i give this place a 9/10.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe a site actually reviewed Vito & Nick's on Pulaski. I grew up in that place! Sadly, I now live in LA and can only look at your pictures. Definitely my favorite pizza in the US.

-MD in LA

Unknown said...

saw Vito and Nicks on the foodnetwork.

i guys beat them to one of the best pizza joints in Chicago.